Wednesday, December 06, 2006

California Green Solutions for business

↑ Grab this Headline

Backyard Nature - Wildlife and Habitat Appreciation & Tips

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Animals eat fruit from the tree

The Fruit Tree Planting Foundation

Igrew up on an organic farm. I never thought much about animals eating the apples and persimmons and peaches from our fruit trees. But this website refreshed my memories:

FTPF’s “Orchards for Animals” program improves lives for rescued animals on sanctuaries by providing fruit trees for shade, shelter, enrichment, and healthy diets. When the trees mature, animals are able to enjoy delicious fruits and foraging opportunities. During times of extreme heat or precipitation, animals can seek shade and shelter under the trees without being away from their food source. Fruit trees allow for the most natural diet available to animals, plucked fresh off the tree with no chemicals or pesticides.

... of course! Animals eat a balanced diet -- we just forget about their natural inclinations when we start relying on packaged feeds for them. Including dogs. Did you know that dogs will walk down the row of garden peas and strip them from the vines? At least our dog did. They also eat grass when they are sick.

Planting fruit trees for animals makes good sense -- they need their vitamins, too!

1 Comments:

At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've just touched upon a very interesting and important issue. I used to devote myself to animals when just a kid (I also grew up on a farm) but now I'm whole in business. But you've managed to so refresh my memory that I'm thinking of planting some little fruit tree home - for my kitty...Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites